Tuesday 12 June 2018

From Lunga Lunga Slums Nairobi to United States of America; A Tale of Isaac Maweu

Isaac speaking during a Decent Conversation Forum on #Hemotions
This is my story. It may not be the first one or the best but it inspires me and all who hear it. If I have made it, you too can make it. Yes, anyone can make it, provided you keep going. Life may knock you down but get up and keep going.

I was born and raised in a very humble background. To a great extent, the poorest of the poor in a small village - Kyemutheke, Machakos County. 

I am the third born in a family of six; the first to go to a secondary school and the first in our clan to earn a Bachelor’s Degree. The degree of poverty in our family could not allow us to imagine getting to the city.

For many years, my father worked as a Bus Station Manager what you people call a tout (makaga). He decided to change the story in our family; defied all holds and showed me the door to college in 2001. However, I had to find a way by myself how to stay in college otherwise I would be sent home forever. I had to look for a job in the industrial area to cater to my school fees as my father took up the next challenge to educate my younger brother in secondary school.

My life in Lunga Lunga slums is a long story on its own but I must mention a few things. I used to stay with my elder brother and his workmate. Three of us in one mud ten by ten feet room. There was no bathroom or toilets nearby except the ones at the Ngong River nicknamed ‘Mtongwe’ by local residents. If one wanted to shower one had to use two basins. You step in one with cold water in the other basin. Cold because you can't afford charcoal or Kerosene to warm water every time you feel like it.

Long story short, I went looking for an "attachment" in my first semester in college. I met Mr. Barry Colline who sponsored my studies for two years before someone maliciously influenced him to stop paying my school fees. I had to discontinue my studies but at least I left Kenya Polytechnic with two certificates. Through hard work and diligence, I moved from Boiler Consultants to Allied Plumbers then to Crowne Plaza Hotel. Working in a five Star hotels as a duty engineer was a great growth in my career life within 12 years.

In 2011 while working at Crowne Plaza, I went through a challenging moment that caused me to have stomach ulcers. In the process, I came across a book entitled ‘Tough Times Don't Last but Tough People Do’. I bought it, read it three times and a new journey to greatness started. Within two years I bought and read ten inspirational books.

On 21st October 2013, I met Dr. Myles Munroe at an event at Safari park where we were paying Kshs. 10,000. His words to me, while holding my right hand gave me the confidence to conquer the world. He told me, "Young man, you got the potential to do greater things than Les Brown or Myles Munroe".

I went back to class in Jan 2014, this time not to study engineering but to a degree in Counseling Psychology. I discovered my purpose is to counsel, inspire and train people to live life to their fullest. I finished my studies in December 2016 and graduated in October 2017. I got terminated in April 2017 for being a Whatsapp group admin. This was very painful because, for fifteen years, I had never had any disciplinary hearing. I went through depression for a month and rose up to pursue my purpose.

Within four months I wrote and published my first book entitled ‘In Pursuit Of Your Dreams’. Because of this book have gotten a chance to be interviewed on three television stations (K24, KU Tv, and Y254) so far. Have given talks at several Universities, Secondary Schools, Churches, Organizations, and Companies.

Through a lecturer at my former university, I got an invitation to go to the United States of America - Keystone College and share my book and what I do. This is dream come true. I need to raise 2500 US Dollars for the air ticket and other expenses.

The poorest man on earth is someone who doesn’t have a dream, the most frustrated person is someone whose dream has not been actualized and the most excited person is the one who has actualized his/her dream. Am frustrated and excited at the same time. But in all this I know one thing no matter what, I will make it.

To support my education trip to the USA here is the Paybill number 891300, Account number 22956. Phone number 0700060859, email: isaacmaweu01@gmail.com 

PS. Isaac Maweu has been our resident counselor for the last year. He is very passionate and committed to transforming life. We wish him all the best and request you join hands with us and make his dream a reality. 

Related Articles
1. A Friend in Need Vs A Friend When in Need
2. Nobody Owes You Anything

No comments:

Post a Comment