Tuesday 7 May 2019

'Grieving & Healing After Loss' Book Commentary by Allan Bukusi

I met Allan Bukusi last year and the first thing he did was purchase a copy of my book, 'Grieving and Healing After Loss'. Several days later, he sent me an email that moved me to tears because it spoke to my heart.

Today I wish to share with you the following words from Allan and I hope they will speak to you as well.

This book is about two people. Eddie and Manuela. Eddie shines like a star throughout the book. Manuela is mentioned in closing or it may be that Manuela is the new beginning. 

The book is written with the passion of a wounded soul watching the passing of a vibrant and energetic spirit. A spirit that says life must go on.   
 
The author relates the sad tale with clinical accuracy and warns us that we must all be ready to walk this path. Three years on she details what she will not let go of. And prays that those who walk the path may find comfort and solace on the journey- and hope that healing will come. It is a sad story that has documented history from an observer who has not moved on. 

The writer tells us of the wells and oasis where one might find comfort and points out the dead ends and cul-de-sac of despair. The writer speaks from a heart seeking sympathy in helping others deal with reality.  Eddie lived his life and the writer lets us know that he is in a better place and will not return. Eddie urges us all to move on. 

Perhaps the writer's intention was not to take us on an emotional roller-coaster but counsel us on the turbulence of grief, sorrow, and loss. Nonetheless, my heart goes out to the author who must be given a chance to live and not be forced to stay in the past. Three years is a long time to cry.

Tabitha, this I write to you as a writer. A writer is the most vulnerable person in the world. What the world does not appreciate is that we (writers) speak from the heart. We bare our souls for others to grow theirs. That means we allow the world to read our thought, share our feeling and criticize our opinions (leave alone the fact that the critics have not written anything to be criticized about). I, therefore, write the following words with great respect for your quest.

… As I read your book I thought of your experience. First I empathized and let you speak your heart. Then I wrestled with the topic myself and the grief I have experienced myself. Then I stopped myself and thought about how enfreezing, imprisoning and crippling grief can be. Then I began to seek freedom for you and for me. It is but a season. 

Later in the evening, I thought about Ruth and Orpah. I now know that Naomi did the right thing to send the girls back to their homes. Orpah was not bad or disloyal. She went back and started again.  Ruth held on to her grief and would not leave the living memory that symbolized her pain. But Naomi – A wise woman – Insisted that Ruth start again five years later. 

To you my newfound friend, I call out Ruth! A new beginning! I know I may have overstepped my boundaries in this matter, but in you, I see great talent, capacity, and competence that Manuela needs and the World will be the worse for your gifts if you do not move on. God knows you. Jeremiah was in desperation when God told him He has good plans. I urge you to believe that God has good plans, but first, you must believe. Break with the past and move on.  

Regards,
Allan Bukusi





No comments:

Post a Comment