Monday 2 March 2020

Dear Dad


Photo | Courtesy
Dear Dad by Corazon  Kunyobo

Today the crowd wants to hear me sing your praises,
They know I'm a poet; a poem they expect,
But I don't know where to start from,
I don't know what to say.

Tell me dad,
Have I lost a father or a molester?
How do I face everyone and say I've lost a father?
A father who turned me into his satisfaction tool
Every time mother left?
See,
I'm not crying for you, You don't deserve it,
I cried for you, that day you forced yourself on me
I cried for you, the days I felt pain urinating,
I cried for you, the nights nightmares of you kept me company.

To you I was a ripe woman,
Yet a 12 year old kid to my mum,
Did you ever think about her?
How she'd feel knowing that you owned the chicken and the chick,
How she'd feel knowing that she begot  you a wife?

You became a stranger every time she left,
You said you were teaching me adult stuff,
You said you'd kill me if I told anyone,
You said I was sweeter than her; my mum😭
And so I'd coil at the corner of my bed every night.

So today I'm crying because even though you're gone, the pain you inflicted on me lives,
Today I'm crying for that woman who loved you so much,
Today I'm crying to every father out there,
No matter how ripe and tempting she is,
No matter the urge to satisfy your greed,
She's still your daughter, just like I was your daughter.


Do you have a story you would like to share? Talk to us via thedecentconversations@gmail.com

Reach out to us for counseling, coaching and life skills training services.

Engage and learn more from our podcast on SoundCloud and Interact with us on Twitter and Facebook

Here are Related Articles:

No comments:

Post a Comment