Friday 24 April 2020

My Teacher Defiled Me at The Age of 8 Years but Now I Take My Power Back; Sofi Buwembo


April is sexual assault awareness month and I feel this is the best time for me to share with the world my experience as a young girl. 

I was sexually assaulted by my teacher when I was 8 years old. I was in P.3 at Kibuli Demonstration School, Uganda. My abuser’s name was Sheikh Serubogo and he taught I.R.E in lower primary.

My teacher took me to his house and as a lamb being led to the slaughterhouse, I went with him not knowing what would befall me. 
When we got there, he took my clothes off and told me to lie down. He went ahead to lie on top of me and rubbed his genitals against mine. This incident made me feel so dirty and very angry at everyone, especially myself. I felt responsible for allowing such a horrible ordeal to happen to me.

I went back home as usual and kept all these to myself. I have never told a soul about what happened to me as a little girl, not even my mother and God knows I have always told her everything but not this. As an 8-year-old I thought my mother would be devastated by the incident, so I decided not to tell her to protect her.

God knows I have struggled with this over the years but especially as a little girl. I did struggle and it seemed like I was living my worst nightmare! It felt like I was trapped and dirty as a child. I couldn’t talk about it and it weighed heavily on me. I kept quiet because I was ashamed and blamed myself. As time went by, I became angrier and for a long time was violent toward my sisters.

Whispers were going around in my class and I knew for sure I was not the only victim of Sheikh Serubogo. He was preying on the little girls and they would share amongst themselves the horrible ordeal they went through. They talked but I never managed to say anything. Even if they talked most of them never got to report the incidents to their parents and we all felt doomed by Sheikh’s presence in the school. This was not only happening in our stream but in other classes as well.

Over the years, I questioned myself so much to the point of hating myself and my body. I kept blaming myself for years and questioned why I let him do this to me and why I was not strong enough to report him.

I was not a talkative child and after the assault, I became quieter. I remember teachers telling my mother that I refuse to raise my hand or participate in class. It is not that I was dumb, but I just felt like I did not belong. Apart from being quiet, my anger escalated. My mother would constantly say that I talked rudely to her and my siblings. She noticed something was different with me, but she never knew why I had become that way.

The next term Sheikh Serubogo never showed up to school. Finally, one of the girls reported him to her father who confronted the headteacher resulting in his being fired. My abuser was gone but what he had done wasn’t. His not being there made things a bit easier because I felt safer. However, there were triggers everywhere at school and I hated the school to the core. I had some happy memories in school but that never stopped me from hating it.

I did my best to cope by trying to be a normal child and be like my friends. It seemed to work because nobody noticed my frustrations or what I carried inside. They never knew what ate me away as I was slowly chipping away on the inside. It was extremely difficult for me, but I managed to go to school every day.

Things happen for a reason they say but I have been trying to search for a reason this happened to me for years, but I found none. There is no reason why this happens. For years I have blamed myself because I felt like I allowed him to abuse me. I now know that I was a child and had no idea what was going on and he was responsible for his actions. As I got older, I learned not to hate or blame myself for what happened. Telling my story is part of taking my power back!

To every victim of sexual assault out there, I want you to know that it was not your fault and I BELIEVE YOU! I hope one day it gets less painful. I hope you understand that you did nothing wrong. YOU ARE A SURVIVOR. There will be better days ahead. Love and lights! #MeToo #Saam

Do you have a story you would like to share? email thedecentconversations@gmail.com 

You can also reach out to us for counseling, coaching, and life skills training services.

Engage and learn more on SoundCloudYouTube and Interact with us on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment