Wednesday 17 August 2016

That Moment When You Find out Your Dad is not Your Father Part 1


Photo Source: atlantablackstar.com
Dear Marcella, it is my prayer and hope that this success card finds you well. If you are reading then it means you are alive and healthy. I am sending this success card to introduce myself to you as your biological father.

The beautiful success card fell from my hands as I gasped out of shock. ‘My biological father!..... but I do have a biological father at home. What kind of a prank was this? The remaining part of my day was confused with a lot of questions. I re-read the letter almost 100 times without really understanding anything. 

When I got home from school I found my ‘dad’ at home. After greetings I immediately gave him the success card and all the questions that I had, followed. After reading he looked at me smiled and said “It is time”

He called my mum from the kitchen where she was preparing dinner and gave her the card. After reading mum’s mood changed and her face was very angry. Dad told her to calm down and it was time that I got to know the truth no matter how good or bad it was. 
 "Marcella dear," He started. "I am your father because I married you mum. The man who sent you this card Mr. Mukolwe is your biological father.  He walked away from your mother and disappeared without a trace. Your mum here tried looking for him and even went to his family’s home but they chased her away.

Photo Source: www.devonwells.com
All her letters to them were ‘Returned to Sender’ without them even trying to open them.  I came into her life when you were 2 years and until now we never thought that he will ever come looking for you. 
We knew a time would come when we will tell you the truth. It seems Mr. Mukolwe wants it to be now and soon."

By then tears were streaming out of my eyes I felt like my whole world was crushing right before my eyes. The person I had grown to love and admire was not really my dad but a Good Samaritan who really loved me with all his heart. 

“He is not and will never be my father!” I spat those words.  

“Take time to ponder over what we have told you and do find it in your heart to forgive and accept Mr Mukolwe as your father. We are not going to stop being your parents you just have a blessing of another family somewhere.”

Photo Source: jadeafrican.com
How does one start finding themselves when you are a grown up?

Do you just forgive a parent who walked out of your life when they conceived you and never bothered to ever look back until when it’s too late?

Is it okay to keep assuming they never existed in your life and does one’s life ever go back to being ‘normal’? 

As parents do we really consider the repercussions of our actions the minute we chose to walk away from our children?

WATCH OUT FOR PART 2…

Here are Related Articles



No comments:

Post a Comment